NEWARK, New Jersey, December 15, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Mars Wrigley, the maker of some of the world’s most beloved treats and snacks, is taking another step forward in its commitment to more sustainable packaging with M & M’S® theater boxes in the United States. M & M’S was recently named one of the Top 5 Brands in the US by YouGov, and M & M’S theater boxes will now be fully recyclable in the US with the removal of the traditional plastic overwrap. This sustainability step eliminates 98 tonnes of plastic waste per year, the equivalent of the weight of a space shuttle in orbit. The updated packaging has been rolling off shelves since late September and is now available in theaters and major retailers nationwide.
“At Mars Wrigley, we are committed to creating better times by improving our societal impact and helping to protect the environment through more sustainable packaging,” said Justin is coming, Vice-president R&D, Mars Wrigley North America. “Removing 98 tonnes of plastic – the equivalent of the weight of an orbiting space shuttle – from our M & M’S theater boxes in the United States is a significant sustainability milestone for one of the best and brightest brands. famous America for helping build a circular economy where packaging never becomes waste. “
This latest announcement from M & M’S is one of many concrete actions Mars Wrigley travels around the world to support a circular economy and help people protect our planet while enjoying some of their favorite treats and snacks.
Some notable highlights from Mars’ Climate Action:
- Mars Bars (UK, Ireland, Canada, November 3, 2021): Mars announced that all of its more than 220 million Mars Bars sold in UK, Ireland and Canada will be certified carbon neutral by 2023.
Reduction and redesign of packaging:
- Maltesers (UK, 20 October 2021): Maltesers replaced the plastic inside of candy boxes with a water-based coating, reducing 82 metric tonnes of plastic waste.
- Bottle of EXTRA gum (Germany, July 2021): First time Mars Wrigley gum bottle with 30% recycled content launched into the German market, a cutting-edge initiative that reduces the use of virgin plastic by around 350 tonnes per year.
- Orbit Megapack (United States, May 21, 2021): Orbit Megapack has published How2Recycle® Packaging Recycling Guides, providing a step-by-step guide on whether and how to recycle each part of the gum pack.
- Balisto (Germany, February 21, 2021): Balisto first offered a candy bar with paper-based packaging in partnership with German retailer EDEKA Minden-Hannover reducing the use of packaging plastic by around 440 kilograms.
- M & M’S (France, November 18, 2020): M & M’s has launched recyclable packaging in the M & M’S Choco 300g bag in France as part of Hero Projects, a permanent program of Europe which tests alternative and sustainable packaging solutions.
- Closed-loop partner composting consortium (United States, November 9, 2021): Mars Wrigley joined the Close Loop Partners Composting Consortium to research ways to expand composting infrastructure and consumer knowledge about the composting landscape.
- Danimer Scientist (United States, March 16, 2021): Mars Wrigley has partnered with Danimer Scientific, a leading developer and manufacturer of biodegradable materials, to develop innovative home compostable packaging for its products.
These initiatives highlight Mars Wrigley Goal of Better Moments and More Smiles, which emphasizes a connected and caring world and supports the ambitions set out in the Mars Sustainable in a Generation plan. For more information on Mars’ approach to sustainable packaging, visit https://www.mars.com/sustainability-plan/healthy-planet/sustainable-packaging.
Phone. : +1 – 201-841-8350
About Mars, Incorporated
For more than a century, Mars, Incorporated has been driven by the belief that the world we want tomorrow begins with the way we do business today. This idea is central to what we have always been as a global family business. Today, Mars is transforming, innovating and evolving in ways that affirm our commitment to having a positive impact on the world around us.
In our diverse and expanding portfolio of confectionery, food and pet care products and services, we employ 133,000 dedicated associates who are all moving in the same direction: moving forward. With 40 billion dollars in annual sales, we produce some of the world’s most popular brands including DOVE®, EXTRA®, M & M’s®, MILKY WAY®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, ORBIT®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, SKITTLES®, BEN’S ORIGINAL ™, WHISKAS®, COCOAVIA® and 5 ™; and care for half of the world’s pets with our AniCura, Banfield Pet Hospitals ™, BluePearl®, Linnaeus, Pet Partners ™ and VCA ™ pet health services.
We know that we can only truly be successful if our partners and the communities in which we operate are also thriving. The five principles of Mars – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – encourage our Associates to act every day to help create a world of tomorrow in which the planet, its inhabitants and its animals can prosper.
For more information on Mars, please visit www.mars.com. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
THE SOURCE Mars Wrigley